Monday, April 5, 2010

The ADG reported today that That Bookstore at Mountebanq has closed in Conway, a central Arkansas city of about 55,000 people and three colleges. The owner, Maryalice Hurst, struggled for almost 10 years and had a strong following of authors and customers, but the bookstore failed. The article offered several suggestions for why independent bookstores fail. People read less now. People expect bookstores to carry everything like big-box stores. And the internet, which is the obvious culprit, is just a few clicks away.

I am retired and reading more than ever, but I can't afford to buy all the books I read. So I am a heavy user of the Central Arkansas Library System. Once I buy a book and read it, I don't have room to store it. I do buy some books from Amazon, but not many. They cost less. Occasionally I buy books at Barnes & Noble here in Little Rock, but not many.

So I would put most of the blame on public libraries. But I'm a strong supporter of libraries of all kinds. My main problem with pubic libraries is when I, gasp, lose a book and have to pay a fine.

You might be interested in knowing about Mary Gay Shipley's bookstore in Blytheville. John Grisham has been associated with this store.

No comments:

Post a Comment