Sunday, November 13, 2011

à la carte financial services

I found this article on Wal-Mart's push into banking interesting. Many people today are unhappy with their bank because of high fees. Wal-Mart has wanted to charter a bank for years, but these moves have been blocked by the banking industry. Now they have gone into à la carte financial services. This has an appeal to many unbanked people and those who just want to pay less for financial services. You can cash your pay check and load it on a cheap Wal-Mart debit card.

I use Wal-Mart as a bank myself, even though I am not unbanked, lol. When I want a small amount of walking-around cash I use my debit card at Wal-Mart rather than at an ATM. You have to buy something, if only a small purchase, but you're going to do that anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment